Beta
×

Thank you!

Wil Wheaton Announces New TV Show

Soulskill posted about 8 months ago | from the good-luck-CleverNickName dept.

Television 167

An anonymous reader writes "Wil Wheaton just announced a new TV show he's hosting and producing. It'll air on SyFy this summer, starting May 27th. Here's how he describes it: 'The Wil Wheaton Project is a weekly roundup of the things I love on television and on the Internet, with commentary and jokes, and the occasional visit from interesting people who make those things happen. It's sort of like Talk Soup for geeks, with a heavy focus on those hilariously bad paranormal reality shows (in fact, that's where the whole thing started a year ago, but as we worked on the show more and more, we discovered that there were lots of scripted paranormal shows that provided a ton of comedic material. When we expanded to cover the scripted shows, we discovered that nobody was doing a show like this that was just focused on the genre shows that nerds like us love, and we decided that we'd make that show because of reasons.)' He adds, '... if I read correctly between the lines during our meetings with the Syfy executives, this is just the beginning of the network formerly known as Sci-Fi returning to its science fiction roots, which is awesome.'"

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Oh, it's on SyFy? (4, Informative)

Minwee (522556) | about 8 months ago | (#46642931)

Then it's either wrestling or it will be cancelled before the end of the season.

As much as I would like to see WilW succeed with this, I just can't picture him doing this while wearing a luchador mask.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643007)

Or it will just suck.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643031)

Isn't that a given with Wil Wheaton? Why do nerds love him so much? His was the most annoying person in Star Trek and basically anything else he's in. His character in Leverage was extremely groan-worthy.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (-1, Troll)

sexconker (1179573) | about 8 months ago | (#46643151)

Nerds hate him.

The media think nerds love him, so they keep trying to market him as some sort of elite nerd. The same goes for all the other "nerd" "celebrities" - from Felicia Day to Adam Sessler / Morgan Webb to Olivia Munn.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (5, Informative)

Intrepid imaginaut (1970940) | about 8 months ago | (#46643417)

Wil's alright, the hardcore surf-the-web-using-lynx brigade don't like him or anyone else that can't solder a circuit board using spittle and two random household items, but he's got a certain cachet among the midrange nerdies who grew up on ST:tNG.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (3, Insightful)

lgw (121541) | about 8 months ago | (#46643749)

I haven't seen him in much in recent years, but I've liked what I've seen. He seems a competent actor with an interest in tech - a good choice for a show like this. Too bad it's Syfy though.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

lpevey (115393) | about 8 months ago | (#46643791)

...but he's got a certain cachet among the midrange nerdies who grew up on ST:tNG.

Yeah, he certainly still has cred with me. Also, one thing is for sure: Wil Wheaton is a huge Borderlands 2 fan. Who else picked up on that based on the language and phrasings he used? Yeah, the guy is definitely a true geek. Love him.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643835)

What is geeky about Borderlands? The audience of that game is 95% dude bros.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 8 months ago | (#46643893)

LOL. Do you also think liking Halo makes you geeky? Like the guy above me said, Borderlands is totally dudebro.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643475)

Jessica Nigiri on the other hand. :-)

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643897)

is an average blonde, do you get out much?

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644561)

Says the average 30 something virgin working in a call center.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644685)

Says the 30 something virgin who sits next to him.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (2)

rk (6314) | about 8 months ago | (#46643615)

Thank you, Ambassador Nerd, for speaking for all of us in our time of need.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (5, Insightful)

DocSavage64109 (799754) | about 8 months ago | (#46643743)

Nerds hate him.

Dude. You need to chill out a little. Would you rather go back to the nerds portrayed in "revenge of the nerds" or all the fake uber-nerds on every NCIS / crime fighting show there is? At least these people are real.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (2)

CronoCloud (590650) | about 8 months ago | (#46643919)

I agree on the chill, but the fake uber-nerd on NCIS is actually...a nerd. Pauley Perrette was a grad student in criminal science when she got into acting.

Now Kristen Vangsness (Garcia on Criminal Minds), as far as I know...is not a geek.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any Abby/Penelope slash fic.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

nitehawk214 (222219) | about 8 months ago | (#46644053)

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any Abby/Penelope slash fic.

Invoking rule 34 causes it to happen.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (5, Informative)

QilessQi (2044624) | about 8 months ago | (#46643755)

Actually (to answer the AC), Wesley Crusher was the annoying one, mostly due to the Mary-Sue-ing scriptwriters, and the fact that no one really wanted to see a teenage boy on the bridge of the Enterprise no matter who was playing him. Wil Wheaton was just an actor, all grown up now, and apparently a pretty nice guy. And when a little girl asked him a question about being bullied for being a nerd, he responded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?... [youtube.com]

So: famous Trek actor, nice guy, nerd-friendly, and he tours with Jonathan Coulton. Lots of folks like him. As for everyone else, well, haters gonna hate.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

sexconker (1179573) | about 8 months ago | (#46644277)

He's an infamous Star Trek actor. He's not a nerd, though. Almost no one in Hollywood is.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644377)

So you're claiming that the guy who invented a holiday for playing board games isn't really a nerd? http://www.tabletopday.com/

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644429)

He plays D&D. Both for charity and recreationally. What do you call that?

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Jiro (131519) | about 8 months ago | (#46643259)

Perhaps nerds see Wil Wheaton as an example of someone acting in a socially awkward manner. Playing the role of a universally hated character is pretty much as socially awkward as you can possibly be when you're someone in the national media, after all.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Deadstick (535032) | about 8 months ago | (#46643453)

Hey, anybody who kicks Sheldon's ass can't be all bad.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644133)

I can think of plenty of Star Trek actors who were more annoying than Wesley such as Chekov, Troi, Worf, LaForge, Dax (both of them), Jake Sisko, Keiko and the entire cast of Voyager.

The only time I didn't like Wesley was when I was a kid. Looking back on it now, I quite like the character.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644333)

His was the most annoying person in Star Trek

His character was annoying and he was a bad actor as a kid. He is not his character. As a nerd, he's an okay guy. Rather hip, actually.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Altus (1034) | about 8 months ago | (#46643009)

Thanks, now all I can picture is Wil Wheaton in a luchador mask

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644467)

Only a luchador mask?

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643011)

Well, by Wil's blog post it seems new people might be in works for SyFy. Maybe there is still hope that it will change back to what it used to be: Better.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (3, Interesting)

Marxist Hacker 42 (638312) | about 8 months ago | (#46643189)

Until it returns to actually showing science fiction shows, as opposed to paranormal, fantasy, horror and talk shows like Will Wheaton's show, it will still just be a pale pink version of itself.

Why not all of the above? (3, Funny)

khasim (1285) | about 8 months ago | (#46643433)

All of the above!

Wheaton's Star Trek character takes on the role of Rod Serling/The Crypt Keeper and presents ghostly stories from alien races across the galaxy.

Episode 1 - The Kowardly Klingon. A Klingon who hides from battle is tormented by the ghosts of those who died. Or is it just his conscience?

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (3, Informative)

plover (150551) | about 8 months ago | (#46643437)

Despite all the attraction that Sharknado and all the other jumping-the-carcharodon shows have received, they do have a few original sci-fi programs still on the air: Helix and Warehouse 13 come to mind; and while Haven may be a bit more paranormal, it kind of fits.

But if I never see a wrestler, sparkly emo vampyre, or ghoti hunter again, it'll be way way too soon.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

lgw (121541) | about 8 months ago | (#46644127)

Oh, is WH13 still on the air? I like that one; didn't realize there might be more coming. While it's definitely second tier TV (whatever the TV equivalent to a B movie is), it's like a good B movie: the cast and crew are clearly giving it their all on a limited budget, and it's endearing.

Re: genre shows that nerds like us love (1)

DocSavage64109 (799754) | about 8 months ago | (#46643183)

Is he really stating that we actually *love* these ghost hunter shows? Other than the believers out there, how can anyone like these shows?

Re: genre shows that nerds like us love (3, Informative)

Lunix Nutcase (1092239) | about 8 months ago | (#46643239)

No, he's saying his show will mock them. Hence why they were referred to as "hilariously bad".

Re: genre shows that nerds like us love (2)

DocSavage64109 (799754) | about 8 months ago | (#46643309)

Hmm. That might actually be entertaining. A show that just mocks other shows :D

Re: genre shows that nerds like us love (2)

Quirkz (1206400) | about 8 months ago | (#46643527)

Yeah, I'd actually take a gander at a show that was mocking the ghost shows. I've joked about doing a parody ghost hunter called "Ghost Hunger" for years, but life keeps getting in the way. Those shows, while being ridiculous, have a certain creepy charm, best served with a stiff drink and a pile of sarcasm. Hopefully the other stuff includes "aliens in ancient ruins" shows, too.

Unrelated to anything I dreamed the other night I met Wil Wheaton (I think because I'd just watched an episode of The Guild that he's in). In my dream I told him how much I enjoyed his work on Silver Spoons and apologized for not immediately recognizing him because "didn't you used to be blond when you were a kid?" Apparently my subconscious thinks he's Rick Schroeder.

Re:Oh, it's on SyFy? (1)

Darinbob (1142669) | about 8 months ago | (#46644289)

Just in time for me to drop satellite and not have to deal with syfy anymore anyway.

I like Wil (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642935)

but not this much.

Re:I like Wil (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642985)

Then why don't you marry him, faggot?

george takei approves the above message (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643023)

.....haha

Re:george takei approves the above message (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643085)

It's okay to be Takei!

Sooooo... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642939)

Tosh.0 ?

Re:Sooooo... (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642947)

Exactly. Just another show recycling Internet clips!! zOMG the hilarity!

Re:Sooooo... (1)

_UnderTow_ (86073) | about 8 months ago | (#46643099)

Tosh.0.1

Re:Sooooo... (2)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about 8 months ago | (#46643159)

"The 'Shut Up, Wesley' Hour!"

You should be nicer to Hwil Hwheaton. (5, Funny)

QilessQi (2044624) | about 8 months ago | (#46643367)

Hwil Hwheaton seems like a nice guy.

Re:You should be nicer to Hwil Hwheaton. (1)

SternisheFan (2529412) | about 8 months ago | (#46643595)

Hwil Hwheaton seems like a nice guy.

I kid, I kid the Wheat-man. He is a nice guy. I have enjoyed his work on ST-TNG. And since that episode when he became a god, I have nothing but the utmost of respect/fear of him.

*Patrick Stewart facepalm* (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642967)

Seriously: WW must be stopped. By any means necessary.

Re:*Patrick Stewart facepalm* (1)

Ashenkase (2008188) | about 8 months ago | (#46643019)

Nobody puts Baby in the corner

Re:*Patrick Stewart facepalm* (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643033)

Seriously: WW must be stopped. By any means necessary.

I dunno, I quite enjoy TableTop, hosted by Wil on the Geek And Sundry network on YouTube.

"nerds like us" (4, Interesting)

kruach aum (1934852) | about 8 months ago | (#46642995)

I don't know if I'm a nerd like us any more. I mean, I have an obsessive knowledge of trilobite fossils, and given a random sentence from any of the Harry Potter books I can tell what book and chapter it is from, but I don't feel like I belong with these kinds of people. What's left for me? What am I? How did pop-culture steal my identity?

Re:"nerds like us" (1)

quantaman (517394) | about 8 months ago | (#46643419)

I think that WW comes from a part of nerd culture that enjoys markers of group identity, cons, trekkies, etc. And because they're organized it means they have a disproportionate impact on nerd culture.

I think there's a lot of geeks who love genre stuff and love talking about it, but really rebel against group identification or any attempt to stereotype. I think I come from this latter grou^H^Hpersuation, I enjoy some decent SF but I'm not going to go to a con or lose myself over a celebrity. There's nothing wrong with those who do, whatever brings you meaning is worthwhile, but it's just not how I'm wired.

I'll be curious what the new show is actually like, despite not really connecting with WW I do enjoy a lot of his work.

Realize the truth: There is no "nerd". (3, Interesting)

VortexCortex (1117377) | about 8 months ago | (#46643795)

How did pop-culture steal my identity?

Many people have bought into the cultural comodificiation of "nerd culture" or "geek culture" [youtube.com] -- Which is a largely fabricated phenomena constructed by corporations to sell you a product, just like "hipster culture", "hippie culture", "thug culture", "punk culture", "rave culture", etc, have been appropriated reshaped normailzed and sold to the ignorant masses at a mall near you.

"Geek" and "nerd" wasn't initially desirable, much as "thug" wasn't a prestigious label for minority inner city youths, but it is arguably now desirable to be called "nigga", "thug", "geek" or "nerd" by peers. The rise of "geek" or "nerd" or "thug" or "punk" culture did not happen over night nor without the help of commercial interests. Contrast this with the similarities among hackers which emerged without the media's attention [catb.org] (whereafter their image was wrongly portrayed in the media). The thug, hippie, punk and other counter cultures began organically as well before they were appropriated and perverted by the corporate interests.

Pay attention to the media's portrayals of sympathetic "nerds" and "geeks". Do you remember Urkel? Screech? Revenge of the Nerds? Weird Science? During much of the 80's and 90's the token 'nerd' sidekick and his persecution in media created an artificial Poindexter to be the target of shame, exploited for laughs, and sympathy. This construction of the Poindexter identity and subsequent transformation into cool-ness as a "child geniuses" to sell parents on "intelligence boosting" toys and videos is responsible for what you now call "nerd" or "geek" culture: Doogie Howser MD, Dexter's Lab, Jimmy Neutron, etc. The construction of "nerd/geek culture" is primarily artificial. Now it's "cool" to be a "nerd" or "geek", but those terms are as meaningless now as the term "nigga".

Meanwhile, in reality, much as similarities among hackers appeared organically, commonalities among avid gamers and other passionate introverted hobbyists. [wikipedia.org] Most of these similarities appeared without mimicry, and cross culturally esp. in the case of hackers, thus are not socially constructed by nature. I have a hard time reconciling the identity of "nerd" and "geek" culture as sold in media as representative of the hobbyist subcultures given that the "nerd" and "geek" identities do not match the prevalent traits of the subcultures they are attributed to: [catb.org]

Very few hackers actually fit the National Lampoon Nerd stereotype, though it lingers on at MIT and may have been more common before 1975. At least since the late Seventies backpacks have been more common than briefcases, and the hacker ‘look’ has been more whole-earth than whole-polyester.

The actual introverted hobbyist subcultures that are branded "nerd" or "geek" have nothing to do with the actual "nerd" or "geek" identity. Hackers had more in common with the hippie subculture than "nerd" or "geek". Gamers had more in common with the skater subculture. Science fiction and comic book fans have more in common with the otaku (anime enthusiast) subculture. But comparatively the subcultures are as different from each other as "jocks" are from "kickers", or "preps" are from "goths". Yes, even these once organic identities have been appropriated reshaped and sold. There is a country-western song, "I'm sexier on the Internet"... See? Normalized and easier to digest.

Congratulations. You are not a geek or nerd. Nigger, Nerd, and Geek are derogatory terms, which now have non-deragatory uses thanks to the commodification of culture. Though some are celebrating the mainstream interest and "coming out" of the enthusiast closet, I'd never call myself a "nerd" or "geek" except ironically. I'm a fit, attractive and outdoorsy and people are surprised when they find out about my "nerdy" hobbies, research projects, and lines of employment. They tell me "you're not a real nerd". On the contrary. I'm what these bullies used to call a nerd to hurt my feelings when I was a weak timid socially awkward kid. Other kids were also social outcasts and are bullied, and their hobbies and insecurities are made fun of too, just like "geeks" and "nerds". Just because they don't like Star Trek or wax on about black holes doesn't mean they deserved less attention in the media's portrayal. Why did we "nerds" with expensive hobbies deserve the extra media attentio-- Oh, now do you see? My black friends who lived through the fight for civil rights don't call themselves "niggers", and aren't particularly pleased with "nigga" either.

The entire "geek culture" and "nerd culture" thing is actually just as bullshit as buying "punk" clothes from Hot Topic. Instead of being labeled by others derogatory terms like "treehugger", "nigger", "otaku", "geek", "nerd", etc. folks willingly subscribe to be these labels now because they're "hip", "cool", "elitist" and/or "popular". It's no wonder the normalized Fake Geek Culture which is being sold in the media resonates dissonantly with everyone, e.g. TFS: Will Wheaton was never a "geek" or "nerd" -- He's popular, a star, liked by girls, even a champion for their social justice warrior cause. He wasn't a persecuted Poindexter, but he can be a "geek" or "nerd" now thanks to cultural commodification. If you really want to, you can be one too.

It's too bad you won't get to experience being beaten and spit on for liking Harry Potter the way playing card and comic book "geeks" were. Oh, you're "such a nerd", for liking shit that everyone else does too... If you want to be. I'm not saying I'm a bigger nerd or geek than you'll ever be, I'm saying: Fuck "nerd" culture. That's as asinine as "thug life" being about bling and hoes instead of making ends meet in the ghetto any way you can whilst being persecuted for your skin color -- You don't see black folks complaining about not identifying with "nigger" stereotype, do you? Of course not, that would be as ridiculous as a TV star or and sexy popular gamer girl calling themselves "geeks" AKA "social outcasts" while being stars of their own video empire built around 'geeky' things like gaming. [geekandsundry.com] As if games aren't mainstream...

What's left for me? What am I?

Pop-culture never stole your identity. They constructed it in the first place. You just bought into the prevalent identity politics of today. What's left for you is to define your own identity.

Re:Realize the truth: There is no "nerd". (1)

VortexCortex (1117377) | about 8 months ago | (#46643845)

*ends meat

Re:Realize the truth: There is no "nerd". (1)

DocSavage64109 (799754) | about 8 months ago | (#46643917)

+1 for well thought out thought provoking essay. Thanks!

Re:Realize the truth: There is no "nerd". (1)

kruach aum (1934852) | about 8 months ago | (#46644073)

No, I don't think that's it. The image of a nerd I used to have was of someone who was really interested in a very specific topic, and became very knowledgeable about it*. It was a specific kind of knowledge, too; not so much the structured knowledge you would find in a scientific subject (otherwise everyone in grad school and afterwards would count as a nerd, and that's just not the case), but just an endless array of facts. A professor can tell you why a combustion engine is designed the way it is; a nerd can tell you every combustion engine ever made by a specific manufacturer. This is the kind of person I was and am, and this is my image of a nerd. I can't reconstruct how I constructed it, but as I was largely ignorant of the examples you cite that influence your concept of nerd (not being from the US), I don't think those were it.

Nerds now, however, are people who, at the end of a long game of Telephone, somehow fell face first into a barrel of thick rimmed glasses and Game of Thrones DVDs. Your social analysis may be more on point there.

*Or very skilful, in the case of programming or chess, where the facts/structure distinction kind of breaks down. Maybe I should just grandfather those two skills in wholesale as simply being 'essentially nerdy'.

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644145)

This is probably the best post I've seen on slashdot in years.

Re:Realize the truth: There is no "nerd". (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644359)

Shit, how long had you been saving that one? lolnerd

Personally I find it quite entertaining watching "normal" people go through the struggles of online addiction, gaming addiction, information overload, etc. Stuff we went through back in the 70's/80's before learning to control it, ideas that I have passed on to my kids so they can be healthy in the information age.

Self proclaimed king of nerds has his own TV show (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46642997)

Discussion about things on the internet? That sounds rivetting. I hope SyFy make the most of their 19 viewers.

Might start of with lofty aspirations... (1)

grasshoppa (657393) | about 8 months ago | (#46643041)

...but this is SyFy, it'll end up being some kind of wrestling show.

Granted, probably with a bad paranormal twist.

Re:Might start of with lofty aspirations... (3, Funny)

lgw (121541) | about 8 months ago | (#46644147)

Coming soon to Syfy prime time: bad paranormal wrestling! Trash talk from beyond the grave! Face-ghost turns!

Shameless promotion (5, Funny)

tooslickvan (1061814) | about 8 months ago | (#46643047)

An "anonymous reader" submitted this? Yeah right. You're not fooling anybody, CleverNickName.

Re:Shameless promotion (1)

mu51c10rd (187182) | about 8 months ago | (#46643565)

Doubtful...Wil hasn't posted [slashdot.org] on Slashdot in 3 years...

Re:Shameless promotion (1)

Mashiki (184564) | about 8 months ago | (#46644679)

That doesn't mean anything, he's lurking in the back ground just like UID 988.

Anonymous? (5, Funny)

amicusNYCL (1538833) | about 8 months ago | (#46643061)

An anonymous reader writes

We know it's you, Wil.

Re:Anonymous? (1)

swv3752 (187722) | about 8 months ago | (#46643197)

I wish I had mod points. The post above yours is much funnier though they say much the same thing.

First Episode (2, Insightful)

msobkow (48369) | about 8 months ago | (#46643063)

First Episode: My struggle to remain a relevant nerd, by Wil Wheaton.

Re:First Episode (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643111)

Wil is a nerd? Since when? He's just a poseur Apple user.

Re:First Episode (1)

Trax3001BBS (2368736) | about 8 months ago | (#46643347)

Wil is a nerd? Since when? He's just a poseur Apple user.

I haven't frequented it in awhile but back when WilW was a regular at http://www.fark.com/ [fark.com] between that and being mentioned on /. e's a nerd.

And I wish him good luck in this venture.

Re:First Episode (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643557)

Posting on Fark does not make you a nerd. Please go kill yourself.

Re:First Episode (1)

NJRoadfan (1254248) | about 8 months ago | (#46644185)

He also used to post here.

Credentials Confirmed (1)

SuperKendall (25149) | about 8 months ago | (#46643985)

Penny Arcade would vouch for him, good enough for me.

Sci-Fi roots? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643071)

What he describes is not sci-fi . . . .

Re:Sci-Fi roots? (2)

Bardez (915334) | about 8 months ago | (#46643171)

Neither was Mystery Science Theater 3000, but it was hella good.

saying "hella"... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644083)

...means someone needs to club you in the head with a brick repeatedly until you stop moving and making noises.

Re:saying "hella"... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644575)

And Hela takes him?

He should be in a new Star Trek (1)

rolfwind (528248) | about 8 months ago | (#46643113)

Not quite Captain material, but perhaps a less sleazy Riker. Or more sleazy, depending on how he wants to play it. But unlike the 90s-early00s Star Trek, this one needs more humor in it (understated, mind you, like TOS), and a bit more world building. No longer hitting the reset button at the end of every show.

Hell, if it's better than the braindead JJ Abrams stuff, I'd be happy.

Re:He should be in a new Star Trek (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643235)

Nothing sleazy about Riker, he simply misunderstood the mission statement - he thought they were out there to explore strange new whores.

Re:He should be in a new Star Trek (1)

plover (150551) | about 8 months ago | (#46643307)

...and eat all the food of every new civilization; to boldly go even when strapped into a nylon-web-reinforced-girdle.

Computer: make me a sammich!

Re:He should be in a new Star Trek (1)

Deadstick (535032) | about 8 months ago | (#46643487)

At least he and Riker were the only ones on the crew who knew how to climb a ladder properly...

Alternate Universe (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643533)

He should do a Star Trek: Alternate Universe where the Federation is EVIL and Wesley has a goatee! It's so IN - goatees are in! He's a captain which he got by sobataging Picard's quest for a new mechanical heart - remember that episode of ST:NG?

But he's not quite evil; just unscrupulous - like a JR Ewing of Space!

It could work!

Note to SyFy... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643117)

If you're content is not available via the Internet, it will be available via the Internet without your involvement or ability to make a profit from it. Anyone else enjoying Season 4 of Game of Thrones without a HBO subscription?

Can this actually fill a timeslot? (2)

TWX (665546) | about 8 months ago | (#46643161)

The most significant common thread on daytime pop-culture discussion shows on television is that they talk about people. It's fairly easy to fill 22 minutes of content in a half-hour timeslot if one talks about this or that celebrity and their antics, as opposed to actually presenting us with significant content. Additionally those programs tend to tell you, during an early segment, what they'll tell you in-detail about in a later segment, eating up time. You end up with a TV show that if condensed down to the actual information could probably be watched in less than ten minutes.

Good luck to CleverNickName, but I don't see how he'll be able to fill enough time to keep the show running without resorting to these same tactics, or without the show being massively disjointed.

That's one of the reasons why several people that make Youtube content make several different, mostly-unrelated shows. That's why John and Hank Green, as examples, run at least four distinct Youtube channels, with significant and discreet subjects acting as sub-channels between them. It's a lot easier to run five, ten, or 15 minutes of content than it is to run 20+, or 45+ for a half-hour or hour-long TV spot. The Green brothers have already invested in the equipment and studio space to make their programs, now they can produce enough diverse content to justify the expenses, and the viewer can choose to watch only one type of production if they don't have interests in the other subjects.

We'll just have to see how it turns out.

I for one, would like to say (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643195)

Shut up Wesley

Re:I for one, would like to say (1)

Trax3001BBS (2368736) | about 8 months ago | (#46643587)

Shut up Wesley

Man talk about being having a bad moment on T.V.
This is going to follow him around for life.

Spare me. (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643319)

Count me out.
His silly grins on STTNG were beyond my tolerance.
(Almost as annoying as Capt. Picard's endless shirt-tugging.

Oh wow (1)

The File (516719) | about 8 months ago | (#46643435)

why all the hate? Give the guy a chance.

Re:Oh wow (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643601)

Because his show is just a retread of dozens of other pop culture shows?

Re:Oh wow (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 8 months ago | (#46643929)

Why all what hate? Where?

Soup Nuts (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643611)

It's sort of like Talk Soup for geeks [...]

So like Web Soup or thousands of podcasts that already exist?

So it's like Talk Soup (1)

Carnivore24 (467239) | about 8 months ago | (#46643683)

Wheaton Soup? Will.0?

sounds good, but... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643741)

Sounds great to me, but I really hope they figure out distribution other than just cable. I got sick of all the crap on the "discovery" and other cable networks and just let it die. Syfy seemed no better. I don't want to go crawling back at $30+/month for two shows... (Gold Rush is my guilty "reality" pleasure.)

Re:sounds good, but... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643785)

That's a good point. I haven't had cable for years now.

April Fools was yesterday! (1)

genner (694963) | about 8 months ago | (#46643839)

I'm sure they'll all feel silly when they look at the calender.....right?....guys?

Great... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46643965)

The last time he showed up on the scifi channel. He got eureka canceled.

What's he going to drag down with him this time?

Just die Wil, die. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644061)

I cringe when you're involved with TV these days. That network is shit, and everything it produces is shit.

So Josh 3.0? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 8 months ago | (#46644093)

Does Wil have enough fanbois to make a show about what he likes? Guess we'll see.

By nerd, he means geek (-1, Flamebait)

FuzzNugget (2840687) | about 8 months ago | (#46644375)

Does he obsess and study and pour years of himself into a technological endeavor as the primary drive for creativity or career?

Last I saw, he was an actor hopping on the geek chic bandwagon, milking every last drop of minor fame from his Star Trek TNG days. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's bad actor, but an MMORPG enthusiast and patron of pop sci-fi does not a nerd make.

Load More Comments